Social Media Manager
Are you passionate about the power of social media in shaping brand perception and expanding audience reach? Do you have a discerning eye for brands that ‘get it’ and do social right? Are you in tune with the trends of Instagram and TikTok in a way that the boomer writing this job description can’t be?
At Unbound Merino, we understand that social media plays a pivotal role in helping our customers get to know us and what we stand for. And we are hiring a Social Media Manager to help us build and execute on a social media growth vision.
As our Social Media Manager, you will be at the forefront of this journey, driving engagement and awareness of our brand and products. Your role will involve working with our creative and production department to create content that showcases the benefits and performance of our products and promises, giving our audience a clear idea of what to expect from us as a brand. You'll have the opportunity to make our social media truly exceptional while demonstrating the features and benefits of upgrading your wardrobe with Unbound Merino.
The Unbound community is global and they choose to take us with them on their travel adventures. The success of this role isn’t only measured in likes and shares;
- It’s in the quality and depth of the conversations we have with our audience. This role will foster that global community by sharing stories of their adventures and meaningfully engaging with our customers.
- It’s in the management and leadership of our various resources including an in-house marketing team, freelance editors, external agencies, and influencers and UGC creators.
- It’s in your ability to ‘own the role’ and be almost entrepreneurial in your vision for building a better social media presence for the brand
This role is for the individual who isn’t afraid of rolling up their sleeves and diving into the unknown. We will be building the social media vision together, almost from scratch. You will report directly to the CMO and will have full support from our marketing and creative team, but you will also be given a large amount of autonomy. If you’re up for a fun and exciting (but challenging) role in a growing company - we’d love to hear from you!
Content Strategy & Execution (50%)
- Present and deliver on the always-on social strategy for all platforms (Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, LinkedIn, Twitter/X); creating a robust content plan and calendar that incorporates input from key partners (Marketing, Product, Special Projects, etc.) to ensure plans align with brand and launch priorities
- Own the social content calendar ongoing; scheduling posts by selecting produced/secured assets, and writing captions referencing brand mood and tone across all content types and posting channels (i.e. in-feed, Stories)
- Lead the social content development process, creating and editing content as needed and/or working with our graphic designers, video editors, and other platform experts when required
- Identify, manage, and execute a regular cadence of brand partnerships through co-branded social media campaigns (i.e giveaways)
- Identify best practices to create strategies, benchmarks, and playbooks for all content and brand voice on our social media platforms
- Stay current in social media and digital marketing trends as well as competitive activity to create new strategic thinking across the board, and optimize engagement across all social media activations
Social Channel Management (50%)
- Curate and publish the day-to-day postings, optimizing for community engagement and reach
- Daily monitoring on our social media platforms, including responsive messaging in a timely, tactful and thoughtful manner
- Regular proactive interaction with our social community, encouraging discussion and participation to increase engagement and satisfaction
- Ongoing monitoring, capturing, and organization of notable tagged posts and mentions
- Define Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and analyze social performance through monthly and quarterly reporting to relay key findings and areas for optimization
First 90 Days
The first 90 days will consist of a lot of onboarding to learn the brand and it will also consist of vision setting. We will work closely with you to assess what an editorial calendar can and should look like. You will take the lead on this, but we will provide input and sign off. This will be a collaborative effort from day 1, rather than a situation where you just follow instructions.
We would however like to see the following within the first 90 days:
- 3 months of instagram posts scheduled out and prepared in Planoly (IG scheduled posting software)
- New strategy and vision for IG story posts (frequency of posts, budget requirements, content calendar, execution plan)
- Full takeover of social media community management (daily replies to comments and direct messages)
- Budget for any additional resources required to perform and execute against vision
- Vision and plan for social media follower growth (What’s our plan to get to 100,000 authentic followers?)
- Vision and execution plan for how we can build a presence on TikTok
- Vision and execution plan for how we can build a presence on X (or if we should use X at all)
- Vision and execution plan for social giveaways
The preceding list will need to be presented by the end of the first 90 days to the CMO and CEO and we will work with you to put your plan into action.
You might be a good fit for this position if you have…
- An intimate understanding of the Unbound Customer and are able to identify opportunities that position Unbound in the correct niche of the Travel Apparel space
- A clear understanding of the social media landscape and have built scalable social content and strategies that optimize for results, and can clearly communicate the brand story and voice
- A resourceful and iterative approach to your work; you don’t shy away from proposing new ideas and self-execution to see what works in order to drive results and brand awareness
- 2+ years of experience in a social media marketing, community management and/or content creation role
- An awareness of the current social media and digital marketing landscape is a must
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an eye for detail
- A good eye for design and aesthetic (we’ll want to see your instagram grid)
- Self-starter with strong project management skills, and the ability to work independently and with a cross-functional team
- Great leadership skills and work easily with others (we value directness and candor)
- Have a growth mindset and love learning and staying ahead of the trends and best practices. You will be the expert on social media at Unbound!
- Previous experience creating a community on social media, ideally in the retail or e-commerce industry; experience working with a DTC company is an asset
- Proven track record of successful UGC or influencer outreach and relationship building
- Proficiency with tools such as Planoly, Photoshop/Canva, Facebook Business Manager, Google Analytics, Google Trends
- Content production and editing skills for photography and/or video is a plus
- You have a passion for travel!
- Primarily remote work environment
- Extended health & dental benefits
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- 10 medical or personal days
- Personal growth bursary
- Annual bonus based on personal & company performance
- Carry-on essentials (aka free clothing!)
Does this sound like you?
If you think you’d make for a great fit...